You can’t improve what you don’t measure. That’s why we track sales data through the years and analyze how it correlates to demographic and psychographic information about our customers.
What does this mean for you? You can use this data to estimate when water distillers are going to be in even more demand, plan your promotions for the year, and stock up on product before the busy season hits.
A Steady Rise
Historically, sales increase slowly but steadily in the second half of the year, with a small dip in December.
There are a few reasons why this might happen:
- Seasonal contaminants are in the news. For example, in agricultural areas, runoff and harvesting can lead to greater water contamination, which leads to more boil alerts and fear. People with water distillers don’t have to worry though.
- With kids back in school and vacation season winding down, many people finally have time to work on home projects they have been putting off.
- Businesses are preparing their budgets for next year and using up the money they have left in their current budgets.
- In December, money is tight from holiday shopping and customers are bombarded with ads. This is a time when people invest more in luxuries (jewelry, the newest electronics, etc) than in needs (like pure, safe water).
So potential customers are interested right now. But how do you turn that interest into sales? Take into account what’s going on in your customers’ lives.
- Educate customers in your area on seasonal contaminant issues and how you can help them avoid risks.
- Offer financing or payment options to help cash-strapped customers who are feeling the pressure of back-to-school and holiday expenses.
- If you work with businesses, set up a meeting now to make sure you’re top of mind as they plan their budget for the next year.
- Reach out to past customers. They already understand the benefits of having a water distiller, and they are more likely to give a distiller as a present during the holiday season.
Sales Spike in January
Resolve to be prepared for 2020! After all, in five of the last six years, we’ve seen a jump in sales as people invest in their resolutions to be happier and healthier by drinking fresh, distilled water.
Why do sales spike in early January? Things are finally settling down from the holidays. No longer are customers rushing around to get gifts for other people; now, they get to buy something for themselves!
Cold weather contributes too. Those who stay in areas with cold climates are spending more time indoors and are more likely to notice the water quality in their homes. Those who travel to warmer areas may notice the change in taste and quality of water they are consuming. Because of their heightened awareness, they’ll be more receptive to your message.
Bonus: if you order now to prepare for January sales, you can ensure you’ve made your minimum purchase to sustain your dealer or distributor level.
Tax Refund Season
Do you have customers wavering on whether to make the commitment? Tax refund season can help. We consistently see a spike in residential sales in March.
The Mini Classic CT sees the biggest increase in sales in this time period, but tax refund season gives you a huge opportunity to sell larger water distillers if you plan now.
In 2019, the average tax refund was $2,725 [https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/04/25/tax-refunds-2019-more-but-checks-smaller/3578320002/]. That goes a long way toward getting and installing an automatic water distiller in your home! But with so many companies competing for a chunk of that refund, how do you get potential customers to use it with you?
- Plant the seed early. If a prospect mentions that they just don’t have the cash right now, bring up the idea of using their tax refund. Get them thinking about it now.
- Show them that it’s an investment. Unlike many other purchases that would be used up quickly, a Pure Water automatic distiller will serve them for years.
- Have them commit early. If they know they are going to spend their refund on a water distiller, they are less likely to be distracted by the competition.
If you are an AquaNui affiliate too…
November, December, January, and April are your key months! AquaNui customers tend to be younger, health- and fitness-conscious, online shoppers who are tech-savvy. Focus on key benefits for them as you spread the word!